Heating and air conditioning units are crucial components of your home – and some of the most expensive components. On top of that, Southeast Texas winters are short, so replacing your rarely-used heating unit is aggravating but will need to happen eventually. When it does, you don’t want to be stuck in the cold needing a last-minute heater replacement!
Deciding whether or not to repair or replace your unit can be stressful, but Efficient Systems is here to help you decide – just give us a call. Every situation is unique, but the following are some general things to keep in mind when considering whether your heater is worth repairing or should be replaced.
Signs You Need a Heater Repair
Consider the general condition of your heating unit. If it performs well and repair calls are rare then it is likely that the unit only needs to be repaired. If serviced regularly, furnaces should last fifteen to thirty years, so repairs also make sense for newer systems (less than five years old).
Additionally, if the repair is simple, will increase home efficiency or reduce its energy load then the best option may be a repair.
Signs you Need a Heater Replacement
When considering replacing your heater, the age of your unit is very important. Take into account the amount of money you’ve spent on repairs for the unit and the cost of new systems before making a decision.
Thanks to technological advancements and environmental concerns, newer systems offer significant savings due to AFUE requirements and may be worth it in the long run. It is also useful to have the technician inspect your home’s ductwork during the winter tune-ups to ensure there are no other issues impacting your system’s operation.
Some factors that indicate you should replace your heating unit:
- The frequency and seriousness of repairs has increased
- Your heating bill has increased
- Your furnace doesn’t seem as effective – your home isn’t as comfortable as you’d like
- Your heater is making strange sounds…even after repairs
- It has started emitting carbon monoxide
- The cost of a repair is more than half the cost of a replacement unit (the 50% rule)
- You’re considering selling your home in a few years – consider your ROI and lifetime cost analysis
- You’re interested in receiving tax credits and utility rebates
Five Things That Will Help Your Unit Long-Term
- Replace the furnace filter every three to six months
- Clear the area around your furnace – it is recommended to have a clear, two-to-three-foot perimeter around your unit and remove any flammable items from the area. This will help airflow and reduce the chances of your unit catching fire.
- Run your unit before you need it – so you know if there’s a problem ahead of cold weather
- Schedule annual maintenance
- Open all vents in your home, even in unused areas
How to Know Whether you Need to Repair or Replace Your Unit
If you need a heating or furnace repair or installation in Beaumont, TX, call Efficient Systems. Serving Southeast Texas homes and businesses since 1979, our expert technicians repair and install some of the highest-performing, most efficient heating systems available, 24/7.
Our team will ensure you get what you pay for and that your home is toasty no matter how long this year’s winter season lasts!